At the point when an association presents a change with a venture or activity, that change needs to be successfully overseen on both the specialized side and the individuals’ side, in other words, the integration of change management in project management occurs.
Integrating Change Management in Project Management
A specialized side center guarantees that the change is created, composed and conveyed adequately. The control of undertaking administration gives the structure, procedures and instruments to get this going. An individuals’ side center guarantees that the change is grasped, received and used by the representatives who need to do their occupations another way as an aftereffect of the task. The control of progress administration gives the structure, methods and devices to get this going.
Venture administration and change administration both expect to improve the probability that activities or activities convey the planned results and conclusions. While each one can work freely, the best approach is to coordinate change administration and undertaking administration to make a bound together and approach to execute change on both the specialized front and individuals’ side front.
The Benefits of Integrating Change Management in Project Management
Empowers an Imparted Destination
At the point when venture administration and change administration are incorporated, the deliberations of both could be centered to a peculiar destination – enhancing the execution of the association by effectively actualizing a change that conveys the planned results and conclusions.
Empowers Proactive Steps
At the point when change administration is coordinated into the undertaking administration steps, endeavors to deal with the individuals side of progress can all the more proactively recognize and relieve dangers, location expected hindrances and safety, and manufacture responsibility and purchase in for the change.
Empowers Sequencing and Arrangement
At the point when specialized exercises and individuals side exercises are coordinated, the right steps could be taken at the opportune time in the task lifecycle to help representatives grasp the change and produce the right results for the project.
Empowers a Trade of Data
Incorporating change administration and undertaking administration exercises enhancing the stream of data. On the front end, the coordinated methodology guarantees that affected representatives are getting the proper messages. On the back end, it aides guarantee that the undertaking group gets powerful input on reception, use and response to the change.
Integrating change management in project management is not an easy task as it involves a number of modifications at the organizational level. However, with a well-thought plan and strategy, any organization can boost the change management process and thus upgrade the overall functionality of the business.
Change is in the opinion of authors McCalman and Plato, “a continuous process of confrontation, identification, assessment and action.” A controlled process of organizational infrastructure change so that the modifications agreed cause a minimal impact on the business. This process shows to what extent are sufficient characteristics such as vision, skills, incentives, resources and action plans for determining change.
12 Tips for Successfully Integrating Change Management in Project Management
While a universal key to integrating these two processes does not exist, there is a series of tips which managers can take into account for boosting the overall organization performance. Here are twelve tips to be taken into account when attempting this process:
- Change is a vectorial process. In order to understand how a process works, you must first visualize it … like a diagram or drawing symbols in physics or mathematics. Therefore, as with any vector, the change will be defined by origin, meaning and direction. For example, in organizational change, the origin is similar to why leaders want change. Direction is given by the CEO, and the meaning is always top-down, e.g. from top-management to executive levels – is extremely useful to identify these elements every time.
- Analysis is a decision taken in the earlier stage of change. It is possible to commit the error of analyzing the process in detail only after you made the change, thus slowing the process itself and sabotaging your chances of success. At the other extreme, sometimes even the need for change is clear to everyone, no one takes risks, hiding behind indecision analysis.
- When you drive change, base yourself on others’ trust more than on your formal authority. Authority based on competence is stronger and works better than the one offered by the organization.
- Communicate simple and straightforward reasons for change. Whenever I tried to soften too much a message, I was wrong. Any normal person accepts, for example, that a business in loss should be restructured.
- “Could gossip be good?”. Gossip will always be there, regardless of the organization or its type. And if we cannot stop people from talking, then let’s start trying to use their nature to create a positive spiral of rumors.
- Speed of change is essential. The experience proved to me that once you decide to change, the process should run as quickly as possible, as any slowdowns translate into a possible sabotage.
- Stop relating to the past. When you have decided which way you go, do not hesitate to do so. Questions like “What would have happened if?” are malignant. Such thoughts do nothing else than slow you down and demotivate you.
- Postponement is the greatest danger. Simply put, postponement does nothing else than to make the process of change more cumbersome and endanger the results.
- People tend to accept change harder, but they change quite easily. This is a faith based on how quickly we adapt to change our society. People will always base themselves on this principle since it is in their nature.
- In the overwhelming majority of cases, change is accompanied by negative emotions. No wonder they say that the easiest way to make enemies is to try and change things. More useful is to try to understand the main aspects that generate negative emotions and to formulate alternatives or solutions for them.
- No news means bad news. In a change, things will rarely go smooth. Silence is not a good sign. Find out what hides behind silence and make the courage to act.
- In an organizational change, too much democracy breaks down. People should be let to act freely, but they must also be given clear directions on what they need to do and how they should act for the proper completion of the project
Finally and most importantly, something to consider is listening to your instincts. Sometimes, you simply know better whether some things should be done right now or they necessitate further analysis. This is also a key concept regarding the integration of change management in project management.
Don’t forget to follow me on Twitter, and on Google+. Sharing is always appreciated.
Chris is the Lead Author & Editor of Change Blog. Chris established the Change blog to create a source for news and discussion about some of the issues, challenges, news, and ideas relating to Change Management.