Change is crucial to the success of every organization whether big or small, and learning how to implement change can be quite challenging especially if one isn’t well versed with how to introduce it.
Therefore, it is incredibly imperative you familiarize yourself with implementing change in an organization in order to take your organization to the next level.
How to Implement Change in Your Organization
1. Appreciate the need for change
First off, you need to personally recognize the need for change in your organization. If not, you may not realize the benefits you can reap from ushering change in your organization leave alone implementing change. Again, you can’t expect your employees to appreciate change if you yourself can’t.
2. What changes do you want to implement in your organization?
It should be very clear in your mind about the changes that you want to introduce in your organization as well as how those changes can bring benefits to your organization. As such, figure out the exact changes that you want to see in your organization. Whether it is improving the quality of services that you offer to client, improving your customer service or basically change how you run things, you need to be very clear about the changes you want to implement in your organization.
3. Involve everyone
You need to involve everyone working in your organization in implementing change. You also need to create enthusiasm among your staff. Even though you may not be directly involved in change if you are an executive or manager, your support for change is required so that your staff can feel at ease with the new changes you are looking forward to introducing. Once you involve everyone, you get support from them hence making it easier for them to accept change.
3. Be prepared for change
If you want to usher change in your organization, it is prudent to be ready for it even before you embark on implementing it. The problem with most managers and executives is that they badly want change, but they are never ready for it. Here is how to prepare yourself for change.
- Eliminate old systems- this can be an aggressive move, but using the same old systems for a long time can prevent change from taking place. In this regard, eliminate the old systems and put new ones in place.
- Make decisions that favor change-Some of the decisions that you make can frustrate change . Consequently, it is imperative to make decisions that favor change. For instance, you can decide to hire new employees or buy new equipment in readiness for change.
- Be positive- before change takes hold in your organization, it ought to take place in your mind first. It is therefore prudent to have the right attitude toward change. Most importantly, think positively and envision the great things that await you as a result of implementing change in your organization.
- Research on the topic change and how to implement it-there are numerous resources and materials on the web about change and how to implement it. These resources are worthwhile to your quest of implementing change in your organization. The more you are well versed with change and how to implement it, the more you are likely to succeed in implementing it in your organization.
4. Implement change in stages
For sure, you can implement change overnight. But you can do it in phases/ stages. The first thing you need to do is to seek support from your employees. Secondly, try to implement it on a trial basis. Instead implementing change immediately, you can ask a few employees try the change first in order to figure out any errors. From there, you can slowly start integrating change into your organization. This enables your employees to familiarize themselves with the new changes and also adjust to these changes as well.
Stages of Implementing Change
- Initiation stage- this is the stage whereby you introduce the changes you want in your company to your employees.
- Implementation-this is the stage whereby action is taken to implement the changes that you have already introduced. It is arguably the most important stage of implementing change.
- Continuation-this is the stage whereby the changes that have already been introduced become embedded. Remember you don’t want to see change for just a few days but you want permanent change. Consequently, it is prudent to continue implementing changes so that they can become embedded and part of your organization’s culture.
5. Map it out
Don’t leave too much to your employees’ imagination when it comes to implementing change lest you end up creating misinformation hence making the whole process of implementing change difficult. Provide your employees with first hand details on the change you want and how it can benefit them and the organization as a whole. Any attempt to introduce sudden changes devoid of informing your employees can mark the onset of confusion in your organization. Therefore, inform them prior to making any changes and above all, create understanding right from the word go.
6. Deal with those resisting change
Once you introduce some changes in your organization, there are definitely those who will be against them. It is good to identify them since they may turn out to be the stumbling block to your quest to implementing change in your organization. As a matter of fact, there is no way you can entrust those resisting change with implementing change in your organization.
Once you have identified those resisting change, find out why there are against it rather than condemning or firing them. If it is an issue that isn’t clear to them, explain it to them in a way they can understand it better. Besides identifying those opposed to change, you should also identify those who are supporting you so that you can have them on board to support your initiative.
With these tips on how to implement change, you are well on course as far as implementing change in your organization is concerned.
WalkMe spearheaded the Digital Adoption Platform (DAP) for associations to use the maximum capacity of their advanced resources. Utilizing man-made consciousness, AI, and context-oriented direction, WalkMe adds a powerful UI layer to raise the computerized proficiency, everything being equal.